Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Kindness Challenge Day 7: Make a Donation

Wednesday, November 7, 2012



For today's task we had to make a donation (money, disaster fund, clothes, food, blood, school, etc.) The donation can be of any kind - small or big -. For a more detailed description on today's task go directly to today's 14-Days Kindness Challenge's post at PersonalExcellence.co. By the way, you're still in time to register. Just go HERE and follow the instructions for the sign-up and you're ready to go! :)

Update: Registrations for the 14-Day Kindness Challenge at PE have closed but you are still free to do the challenge at your own pace, any time. You can always share your results in the comments section in Basked in Sunshine. Thank you so much for reading my experience. I hope it will serve as an inspiration for you guys/gals in the near future. Let's make the world a kinder place - together. :)

My Experience

Since I'm under aged I don't have my own money to donate but I do know of a method called Click-to-donate in which you click/like a certain link to different organizations and they'd donate a small amount of money/clothes/food/books to charities such as cancer research, hunger, poverty, education, etc. The good thing is that some websites allow you to to keep clicking more than once in one day and thus donating even more. Some of this websites are fraudes but there are other well known organizations that are known for actually donating due to the clicks/likes they receive such as FreeRice, The Hunger Site and Bhookh.

There are also other Click-to-Donate websites in which the organization offers it's users to play an educational game (such as puzzles, questions, etc) and each time you get a right answer they'd donate a small amount of money, food or basic necessities to a certain cause. This happens to be the method used for FreeRice.

FreeRice caught my attention since the website sponsors will donate 10 grains of rice for every answer you get right in a series of simple and easy educational games. I was a bit doubtful if FreeRice was real or not at first so I browsed the web and found real proof on it's validity in websites such as BBC News, Los Angeles Times and Snopes. After clicking a bunch of websites which I wasn't even sure were trustworthy I decided to stick with FreeRice and played each game till I donated 100 grains of rice. In total donated 2,270 grains of rice. :)

Besides donating a small amount on various websites with The Click-to-Donate method I decided that tomorrow I'd donate a novel that nobody uses at my house to the school library and there was also an activity in which they were collecting money and each $1.00 donated was used to buy a book for children in need. I'm not sure if the library is still collecting money or if I can even get $1.00 in time but I'll update how that goes sometime tomorrow. :) Another thing I did (but which I'm not sure if it counts as donating) is leave food for the birds in my backyard to eat. Hope they like it! o-o

Update: The next day I donated the book to the library! :) I wasn't able to find the $1.00 but the library wasn't collecting money anymore anyways and when I checked on the birds 1-2 hours later they had, literally, eaten every piece of food I had left for them and there were 2 birds with pieces on food in their mouths haha.

How I felt when donating

It felt tiring clicking so much but I know that somewhere a person in need will benefit from that effort I made today. I also felt worried that maybe the organizations weren't reliable but in general it felt good and made me feel like a better person.

Lessons

Today's experience clarified my vision in joining organizations and donating more in the future. It's fun and at the same time you're helping others! :) I'd also like to share something which I've thought of since like a year ago and I had already talked about it with mom. One of my dreams is to do volunteer work in an Eastern country for at least 3 months or even 2 years (like a certain organization offers you) and with today's challenge and day 4's volunteer task I feel ready to say I'll make this dream come real. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment