Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kindness Challenge Day 1: Give a Hug to Everyone You See!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

-"A silent hug means a thousand words to an unhappy heart." unknown author
- "Hugging closes the door to hate." Tony Davis
Day 1 of Kindness Challenge, the task is to hug, hug and hug!! Go, go, go! Hug your mom, hug your dad, hug your siblings, hug your neighbors, hug your friends, heck - hug your dog/cat! Now let me clarify. If you're the shy type - like me - and at the current moment are not comfortable to hugging others or have some form of belief against hugging then you can always just hug 3 people. There are 2 levels on this task.

Level 1: Hug 3 people

Level 2: Hug everybody you see

For this post I'll just share my experience on Day 1 and if you wish to read a detailed explanation on the day's task, go directly to Celestine Chua's post here at: Personal Excellence.co and leave comments directly at the Kindness Challenge and share with other participants as well! If you haven't signed up for the challenge - What are you waiting for? Go and sign up NOW! 730 770 780 790 800 810 participants and counting!


Registrations will close soon so NOW'S your only chance! Go, go, go!! Invite your friends and family members to join! Prepare for Thanksgiving and the New Year, be a part of this movement and be a kinder person today!! :)

Update: Registrations for the 14-Day Kindness Challenge at PE have closed but you are still free to do the challenge at your own pace, any time. You can always share your results in the comments section in Basked in Sunshine. Thank you so much for reading my experience. I hope it will serve as an inspiration for you guys/gals in the near future. Let's make the world a kinder place - together. :)

Who did I hug today and how did I feel when hugging them?

Me and the sweater I used for school! :)
I hugged 6 people and 2 dogs:

1) My mom - I felt like I was thanking her for all she does for me and my siblings.

2-3) My pregnant sister - I felt happy & nurturing towards her and the baby.

4) My little brother - I felt like a nurturing and loving big sister.

5) My dog 'Papi' - Happy, loving and playful.

6) My dog 'Michi' - Happy, loving and playful.

7) Friend at school - I felt comfortable and like hugging a teddy bear.

8) Friend at school - I felt like if I was leaving differences and problems aside and moving on.

To be honest, when I first heard of the first task I was bit shocked since I'm not a "hug person" - but even so - I found it very interesting. I used to be a person who did not like hugging due to a personal false belief that hugging was considered rude and something only people that are dating should do. I'm a person who as a child was raised in an environment in which men were portrayed as violent, sneaky or even liars (While it's not necessarily like that since I've long learned that there are tons of men in the world that are nice and loving). I lacked accurate belief on what romantic love was.

Nowadays, I don't consider hugging as something strictly reserved for couples in romantic relationships and am at peace with viewing it as an act that close friends do but I'm still long from being comfortable hugging strangers out of my own will - unless I'm asked to. -

What I've learned from Day 1:

Hugging isn't something to be afraid of. Hugs are the start of love,the start of friendship, the start of companionship, the spark of light that has permitted innumerable people to move on from a past grievance or wrong. I've been one of this people that has experienced her life change with a simple hug, and even though I expressed my slight feelings against hugging strangers (Due to my childhood beliefs), I would never exchange the hugs I've received in life for anything. A hug isn't just a hug - it can be but the start of many beautiful things in life. <3 :)

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment